Discourse Media is seeking producers with experience of leading in-depth, investigative journalism projects to join our growing team. We’ve already reached millions with our innovative model of community-based investigative journalism, and in early 2018 we’re going national with a new — and expanded — digital product offering the highest-quality reporting to Canadians. Will you join us?
At Discourse, we produce stories that cut through the noise of the 24-hour news cycle and help the public make sense of complex issues. As an Investigative Producer, you will work closely with reporters who are experts in their own beats to help them plan and shape their coverage for the greatest possible impact and engagement with communities. You will also work collaboratively with other producers to devise new editorial and engagement strategies.
This is a permanent, full-time position (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits. It reports to Discourse Media’s Executive Editor. Our head office is based in Vancouver, but we encourage applications from candidates across the country.
As an Investigative Producer, you will be responsible for:
- Planning, managing, producing and editing in-depth investigative projects and associated regular newsletters and stories to the highest standards
- Day-to-day supervision of reporters
- Contributing to engagement strategies for investigative projects
- Contributing to the design of multimedia editorial packages for maximum impact
- Commissioning freelance contributors when appropriate
- Partner outreach and management
- Working with other producers on editorial strategies as needed
- Bringing ideas to wider editorial and planning meetings
- Conceiving creative treatments for content and contributing to new project design, where appropriate
- Contributing to a positive, collaborative team environment.
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 7+ years’ journalism experience, including investigative reporting
- Experience of leading a team of reporters
- Strong planning and problem-solving skills; you organize time and resources effectively and deliver complex projects on deadline
- Experience in identifying, tackling and resolving legal and ethical issues
- Track record in working in a digital or social media production environment
- Photo, video, audio or data journalism skills are an asset
- Knowledge of solutions journalism and community-based methods is an asset
- Expertise in or knowledge of Discourse Media beat areas is an asset
- Motivated by a desire to produce impactful journalism
- Self starter, highly motivated, able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Open to collaborative working practices
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
Discourse Media is an innovative digital news media company that provides high-quality investigative journalism about the issues that matter most to Canadians. We are boldly re-imagining journalism: how it is produced and delivered, how it is funded and most importantly, how it can serve communities — not advertisers or foreign investors.
Please send your CV, examples of your previous work, and a cover letter of no more than two pages that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse and what you would bring to our team. Email your application to email@example.com by Nov. 30, 2017. In the subject line, please put: “Application: Investigative Producer.”
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Check out other open positions at Discourse.