Discourse Media is looking for an Associate Producer, Social & Digital to help us build our online community and support the production of our in-depth investigations. You’ll join our growing team as we take our innovative model of community-based investigative journalism national with a new and expanded digital product offering the highest-quality reporting to Canadians.
At Discourse, we produce stories that cut through the noise of the 24-hour news cycle and help the public make sense of complex issues. The Associate Producer has an important role to play in managing our social accounts day-to-day and identifying story ideas and opportunities for deep engagement with our community on these issues. The Associate Producer will also track and interpret social performance metrics to inform our storytelling and enable us to understand how we are providing value to impacted communities.
The Associate Producer will also support our investigative teams in packaging our stories for maximum impact and help to manage our digital assets.
This is a permanent, full-time position (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits. It can be based in Toronto or Vancouver.
- Working closely with our investigations teams (reporters and producers), manage and monitor Discourse’s social presence across platforms in line with our goal of engaging impacted communities
- Use news judgment and data to curate Discourse stories across our social platforms
- Pitch story ideas to editorial staff based on social engagement
- Gather and interpret analytics to share relevant content on distributed platforms
- Apply and test a variety of best practices and innovative techniques to maximize click-through and engagement on Discourse stories, and provide feedback to editorial team
- Create compelling digital story packages for our investigations and associated storytelling
- As needed, create platform-specific content with our editorial teams, including text, photos, videos and interactives
- Organize and manage digital assets (photos, audio, video etc.)
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- 2+ years’ working in journalism or social media, or newsroom experience at a major media company
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Demonstrated strong understanding of social platforms and track record of successfully engaging with communities on social media
- History of successful experimentation on social, especially with millennial news brands
- Experience with analytics platforms (e.g. Google Analytics, Chartbeat, Parsely, Crowdtangle, native social analytics, etc.) and collecting/tracking data from these platforms
- Familiarity with content management systems
- Skilled in video and photo editing using the Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom)
- Highly motivated and able to work in a fast-paced, startup environment
- Open to collaborative working practices
- You must be eligible to work in Canada.
Discourse Media is an innovative digital news media company that provides high-quality investigative journalism about the issues that matter most to Canadians. We are boldly re-imagining journalism: how it is produced and delivered, how it is funded and most importantly, how it can serve communities — not advertisers or foreign investors.
Please send your CV, samples of your previous work, and a cover letter of no more than two pages that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse. Email your application to email@example.com by Nov. 30, 2017. In the subject line, please put: “Application: Associate Producer.”
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds, and experiences.
Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Check out other open positions at Discourse.