Are you interested in journalism innovation and digital engagement?
Discourse Media is currently accepting applications for a Digital Producer to start at our Vancouver office in March 2017. We are looking for someone who is interested in journalism innovation and how we can push the envelope in the digital space. If you know how to edit video, you have a keen interest in visual design, you care about deep engagement on social media, you're comfortable with the back end of websites and you want to write about what you're learning along the way, we'd love to hear from you.
This is a permanent, full-time position (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits.
We are an independent journalism company dedicated to in-depth reporting on complex issues facing Canada and the world. Discourse is building a home for new approaches to storytelling that look beyond conflict-driven daily news cycles. We tell stories Canadians need in ways they can trust.
Discourse produces investigations, analysis and data journalism focused on matters of public importance: gender, environment, education, urban development, the economy, politics, Indigenous issues and more. We look for gaps in reporting and pursue stories that have potential for impact. We publish on our own digital platform and broaden our reach through media partners.
As a member of a small team at a startup, the Digital Producer will contribute to a wide variety of tasks and projects, including:
- Reporting on journalism innovation, writing stories for discoursemedia.org and Discourse’s Medium page
- Managing editorial website content, uploading and visual presentation of content
- Supporting the design and execution of the digital strategy for our in-depth investigations
- Creating project-specific content (text-on-screen videos, animations, graphics, etc.)
- Managing, building and engaging with Discourse’s social media communities
- Tracking community growth and engagement
- Contributing to new project design, where appropriate
- Contributing to a positive, collaborative team environment
- Motivated by desire to produce impactful journalism
- Experience reporting on journalism innovation or related issues
- Skilled in video and photo editing using the Adobe Creative Suite (Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, Lightroom)
- Experience working with content management systems, e.g. Wordpress
- Strong eye for visual content and story layout
- Experience managing and building social media platforms
- At least three years of professional journalism experience
- Expertise in or knowledge of Discourse Media's current beats (including education, Indigenous issues, energy poverty, climate change, gender) is an asset
- Knowledge of solutions journalism and community-based methods is an asset
Send your CV and a cover letter that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse and what you would bring to our team. Please include a portfolio or at least two links to relevant work. Email your application to email@example.com by Feb. 15, 2017.
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experiences. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.