Discourse is looking for a Sales Manager to join our dynamic team
Join our team! Apply by July 3, 2017.
We are currently accepting applications for a Sales Manager to join our Vancouver office. As a key member of the business development team, the Sales Manager will support various Discourse Media editorial and data products in the North American market. The successful candidate will work directly with current and prospective customers to help Discourse Media meet its sales targets. The Sales Manager will work with multiple departments including Editorial, Operations, Marketing and Finance to oversee and assist in setting and meeting sales objectives, manage sales processes and relevant documentation, maintain sales databases, manage customer relations and contribute to progress and impact reporting.
We are an independent journalism company dedicated to in-depth reporting on complex issues facing Canada and the world. Discourse is building a home for new approaches to storytelling that look beyond conflict-driven daily news cycles. We tell stories Canadians need in ways they can trust.
Discourse produces investigations, analysis and data journalism focused on matters of public importance: gender, environment, education, urban development, the economy, politics, Indigenous issues and more. We look for gaps in reporting and pursue stories that have potential for impact. We publish on our own digital platform and broaden our reach through media partners.
As a member of a small team at a startup, the Sales Manager will:
- Work closely with the business development team to identify new sales opportunities and target markets, and initiate customer contacts
- Lead contract negotiations and manage sales cycles for key accounts
- Manage and grow revenues from an existing client base
- Provide regular sales reports by analyzing and summarizing information on all account activity, including status and call reports
- Maintain customer records
- Ensure high post-sales satisfaction that enables repeat business
- Ensure customer is billed on time and payments received
- Represent the brand in different events to generate leads
- Contributing to new project design, where appropriate
- Contributing to a positive, collaborative team environment
This is a permanent, full-time position (Monday-Friday, 37.5 hours/week) with health benefits. The Sales Manager reports to the President.
- Passionate about journalism and social innovation; literacy in Discourse Media's issue areas is an asset
- At least two to three years of professional sales experience or other relevant experience, preferably in media or related fields
- Proven track record of exceeding sales and profit targets
- Proven track record in customer service
- Entrepreneurial spirit
- Strong interpersonal skills; proven ability to effectively manage relationships internally and externally including confrontations, coaching and team building
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral
- Strong customer orientation and comfort with direct client interaction
- Experience in using CRM applications
- Comfortable with data and reports; an eye for detail
- Highly motivated, energetic, and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment
- Strong time management, follow-up, and organizational skills
- Experience in marketing is an asset
- Candidates must be eligible to work in Canada
Send your CV and a cover letter that explains why you are interested in working at Discourse Media, and what you would bring to our team. Email your application as a PDF (with your name in the file name!) to email@example.com with “Application: Sales Manager” in the subject line.
At Discourse we are committed to developing a diverse and inclusive team. We encourage applicants with a range of perspectives, abilities, backgrounds and experiences. Applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.